Monday, June 11, 2012

Smurf 1, Aka Hyper Smurf

At some point I started calling my kids Smurf 1 and Smurf 2, and they have taken to those nicknames.  What's funny is if I call their names, they may ignore me but if I say "Smurf 1 and Smurf 2!" they both respond immediately!

Anyway,  Smurf 1 is VERY hyper; he reminds me of myself a lot of times.  This boy will run back and forth in the house when he gets to the point where he has too much energy.  He likes to jump off things, and so has accumulated a variety of scars and bruises on his legs and hands.  At times I wonder if he has a sensory issue because of the way he tenses his body and wrings his hands when overstimulated (anxiety, happiness, excited, etc.).  I originally thought of Autism or Asperger's but he doesn't show any other sign except for the body tensing.  He definitely has an active imagination because he tells us a variety of stories based on things he's been read or he's seen.  His current play story is that he has 100 babies that live in the clouds.  Their names?  Baby 1, 2, 3, etc.  He gives them lemonade and oatmeal to eat, takes them to school, and goes on adventures with them.

He's mainly interested in boy-type stuff: wrestling, fighting, playing, jumping, looking at pictures.  He's not a fan of coloring, writing, or arts and crafts. However, he does show the emerging reading skills for his age and knows all the beginning sounds of words.  Plus, he likes to make jokes and will even try to make his own euphemisms.  At some point I will have to list them because they can be quite funny.

And that's Smurf 1.  Up next, Smurf 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment