Saturday, June 30, 2012

Misunderstandings, aka "Kids Say the Darndest Things"

Today I shall tell of two stories involving the Smurfs and some misunderstanding on my part.  I preface by saying that kids will say things innocently, but some of those things can be easily misinterpreted and can make you wonder about your own thoughts and feelings.

Story 1:  When we visit my wife, one of our routines is to take a lap around the ground and 1st floors.  During one trip the hallway was empty except for an orderly/nurse/tech/hospital employee person wearing gray scrubs and of Middle Eastern origin.  The hallway is quiet, and as we get close to him Smurf 1 says rather loudly "What is that gray thing?"  Trying not to overreact, I ask him "what do you mean?"  He then points in the direction of the guy and repeats the phrase.  Now I'm torn between avoiding eye contact, looking at the guy and giving the "kids are crazy" shoulder shrug, or standing up straight (since I could tell I was bigger than him) and give him the "I dare you to say something to my kid" look.  Instead, my wife opted for the smart option and asked him for more clarity. He points again, but this time he says "That gray thing there.  The thing with the words. What does it say?"  My heart finally started to slow down and we read the sign to him (loud enough for the guy to hear) and kept on going.

Story 2:  As we're walking through a hallway to get to the elevators to visit my wife, Smurf 1 says loudly (I think he only has one volume level) "What happened to the man?"I look up and down the hallway to find out what person he has identified, but I don't see any guy except a \really fat guy walking (like take-up-half-the-hallway fat).  There happened to be two women walking behind us, and I heard one of them go "ohmygawd!" and the other one started giggling.  Remembering what happened in Story 1, I asked him to point and describe who he is talking about.  He then pointed to the hallway (away from the fat guy) and said that there was a statue there that was now covered up.  I told him that the hospital was probably fixing something and he would be back later. 

So what have I learned?  That I need to make sure my Smurfs clarify anything that may be embarrassing, although there will be that day where my fears will be confirmed.

On a good note, my wife came home for 6 hours today again, which was a huge relief again.  We did almost nothing and it was glorious.  Also, the in-laws did not stop by (yay!).  I still have to do some laundry, dishes, and bathe the kids (they did not take a nap until 6!), but i'm still happy about today.  Tomorrow will be a different story.

Smurf 2 likes to chirp like a bird.  Well, she likes to make all kinds of sounds and noises as part of her acting/singing/dancing repertoire, and one of her favorite things is to chirp like a bird.  It's annoying, constant, and cute at the same time.  She will go from sounding like Donald Duck to chirping to doing penguin noises.  It's a weird skill she's developed but it suits her personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment